Thursday, November 22, 2018

1974 Ford Maverick

If you had visited my high school parking lot in 1989, you would have seen half a dozen copies each of two old Fords:
1. First generation Mustangs. I had two classmates who drove restored '65s. And I knew three other kids who, like myself, drove '67s; not restored and of dubious reliability.
2. Mavericks.

Of course there was a difference between the young Mustang driver and the Maverick driver. A Mustang said, "I have a cool car I like." By contrast, the Maverick said, "This is the only car to which I have access; it's better than walking." One friend of mine had a Maverick with a three-speed column shifter that he boasted had 200K miles on it. His grandfather and uncle had overhauled the engine themselves. Maverick wasn't the car you wanted, but it was hard to kill.
























2 comments:

  1. Hm, I think you're right. I pegged it as a '73 because it has the front bumper that came out that year. But the back bumper appears to make it a '74 or later. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete